Monday, December 6, 2010

Jay Park and Birdy

I went to Jay Park's Meet and Greet session last Saturday. 


When X asked me whether I wanted to go, my first question was "Who?" 
"The famous K Pop guy!" 
"Erm... Ok sure." Because I remembered friend S likes K Pop and figured I could bring her. 


Then conversation between me and S. 
"Hey S, do you wanna go to the press con for this K Pop guy that's coming this weekend? I forgot his name but..." 
"Eeeeeeeeeeee! Ahhhhhhhhhh! Omg it's Jay Park!! I loooovvvvveeeeee yoooouuuuuu...!!!" 
*pause for two breaths over Whatsapp*
"Not that I didn't love you before. I just love you MORE now." 
"Wait, you ARE talking about Jay Park right??" 
"0_o Erm ya... That's the one. I recognized the name when you mentioned it."


So apparently this guy is big in the K Pop scene right. He's an American born Korean and was part of this group called 2PM blah blah blah
You can read it up yourself on Wikipedia. 


JP and his manager chillin' just before the media all came in.


The important thing is this: He's nice. 
So nice I felt bad for being bored during his media con that I didn't even realize X (the MC) was asking me to ask him a question till he repeated my name twice. 
I started up and looked blankly and in semi panic at X and Jay Park. S tried to save me by shoving the questions the 8TVNiteLive hosts had prepared to ask him, but I was so panicky I didn't even notice what she was doing. 


X: "You don't have anything to ask, Erin??" *repeated three times* 
Me: *blanked out* *pause* *continues blanking out* 
JP, taking pity on me, said "Haha. That's a good question huh?" 


That broke the ice enough for me to get my senses back and ask the first lamest question I had in my mind. "Are you planning on coming back to Malaysia to do a full blown concert?" 


I mean like DUH. I *hate* it whenever media ask that question to performing artists. Even if they *never* plan on coming back, they *have* to say yes right? Geez. 


But yet again, he was nice enough to answer my question with enthusiasm and detail. 


Faraway shot of his performance. It was too scary being near the screaming fans.


So yes. I'm a convicted Jay Park fan. Just cos he's so darn nice. 
It'll take a lot more for me to become a K Pop fan though. 


A video of him answering a couple of X's questions for those of you who want to hear his super Asian-American voice. 


Also on Saturday, I went to watch "Birdy" the stage play at KLPac. 
Christopher Ling is the director of the show, and I tell you, after watching a couple of his shows I have to say I loooooovvvvvveeeeeee his work! 


The shows are *always* dark and tell another story behind what you see. 
Its not hard to understand la but it makes me feel smart to watch his shows and realize I can decipher what's actually happening between the lines. *smug* 


And two of the actors happen to be my favorite Malaysian stage actors. Micheal Chen and Jon Chew. Why? Because I know them. Biasness is totally allowed. 
And they are actually great actors too lah. 


Jon's part didn't even have much lines. Most of the time he was acting as a crazy person. I don't know how his legs could stand being in his crazy position for so long throughout the show. Absolutely riveting. 




The simple synopsis is: Two great friends. One angry buff totally straight dude. One small sized boy who's in love with birds. 
Not your typical storyline. Nothing about the show was typical at all. 


The show is going on until 12 December 2010. 


Why you should watch it: 
Because Malaysians really need to experience more things than shopping malls and cinemas. 
Because the Malaysian censorship board has not inserted their tentacles into the performing arts scene yet. Use your imagination on the scenes and dialogues. 
Because Birdy is actually a great play with fantastic reviews. 
Because there's this neverseenbeforeinMalaysia scene that I can't even talk about without cringing because it involves my straight friend bah!
Because its only RM38, RM25 for students. 


Bervin, Shannon, and the cast of Birdy. 


K Pop and Malaysian stage plays. Multi-cultural is the way to go yo. 

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Jay Park Jay Park Kpop Kpop!

*Chants*

Erin I wanna convert you to be a Kpop fan! :P

erin wong said...

Nooooo...! You'll never get to me, you K Pop fiend!!