One of Malaysia's biggest stars/ known celebrities is undoubtedly Amber Chia.
Many hate the idea of her being so well known. Many argue that she has cheapened her worth by accepting every other job on the market, thus causing her sellability to be low amongst the big guns.
And it does seem to be the case doesn't it? Everywhere you walk and turn, its unavoidable to see her face plastered across posters that would be advertising anything from printers to skincare to blogshops.
But what bugged me a little, was despite the obvious hate most of the public seemed to have towards her, when I spoke to a few of her counterparts, most seem to have nothing but respect towards her.
I'm talking about 'celebs' (I try to not to use that word and I don't consider most in Malaysia to be that really but its just easier to get the message across) and business owners, people whom have a respectable reputation, who actually know her, hang out with her.
They don't agree with her marketing tactics 100%, but they also admit that its undeniable it worked for her. Whereas many in Malaysia would maybe have heard of Daphne Iking, maybe have heard of Carmen Soo, maybe have heard of Harith Iskandar... every Malaysian I know has heard of Amber Chia.
All of them do not deny that Amber is hardworking, dedicated, and passionate to succeed. She may not be the brightest individual around, but she's someone who's determined to make it big, and takes up whatever opportunity she can get to achieve her goals. Which is why she ends up taking every single job she's offered, and attends almost every single event she's invited to.
When I spoke to her over lunch last week at the Amber Chia and Dato Anna Lim Grooming Workshop (next blog update), I decided to put aside all my previous biasness and study her as I would with any individual I had just met.
My close friends all know that I'm someone who analyses people from the moment I set eyes on them; throughout my conversation with them. It takes me less than 5 minutes to analyse most individuals, though of course a longer, deeper conversation helps fill in the gaps. I won't tell you I think I'm always right, but lets just say I trust my own instincts more than anyone elses, and it hasn't failed me so far.
So in Amber's case, what I saw was very simply... A typical semi-helpless female who has just enough smarts and determination to make it big. But who isn't good with paperwork, legalities, administration etc., and always hands it over to someone who can do it for her.
She's a very trusting individual who is blur enough to put up with almost any annoying characteristic, so long the person is her friend who's nice to her (seen from her interactions with some people whom I would never be able to stand).
I know so many chicks (and several dudes come to think of it) around me who are exactly like that.
Its just that they aren't a public figure who's every action is scrutinized and criticized by the public eye.
Her relationship with her husband Adrian Wong is a typical example.
When Amber got married, articles either stated that he's her talent manager, or he's a business owner. I haven't really followed the news but here's the real situation.
Pic from amberchia.com
He's a business owner with a legal background (studied law and practised for a few years but deicded to come out to run his own business instead). When he and Amber first started dating (about two years ago) Amber immediately chucked all negotiations of her contracts to him.It was easy for her, and she was lucky enough to have a boyfriend who wasn't out to con her. He would definitely have been able to get away with it, since she really didn't care much for paperwork and details.
And since she didn't want any publicity on her relationship with him, every time he went to events with her she introduced him as her manager. Since whenever they wanted to negotiate contracts she'd pass the phone to him anyway, it seemed like the perfect cover up story.
He still continues to help her negotiate her contracts. The Ford Supermodel fiasco? The husband was in the picture, but she decided to just trust that friend, and not get into too much paperwork, as per her personality.
So is he her manager? Yes and no la. You decide.
Is she dumb? Yes and no too.
Yes, she doesn't care about details. She delegates that responsibility out if she can. But I don't think that makes her stupid. I have friends exactly like that, and it annoys the hell outta me if the person expects me to handle it all for them. But she gets either her boyfriend/ husband to do it for her, or pays someone to do it.
I've also met people who are seriously stupid and from my conversation with her, I don't lump her in that category.
Why do I think that? Take her English for example. Yes, its still atrocious. Yes, its annoying. But she always confidently puts together a sentence without halting at ALL. Listen to her speak in public and cringe, but know what I mean. Something I find quite amazing for her level of English. She has no trouble catching on to what I say, which is also quite surprising as many Chinese speaking people I know need me to speak in simpler English or throw in Mandarin to make the conversation easier to undertand. I deliberately threw in some mid level vocabs through our conversation but she had no problem catching on at all.
As for rumours of her being a slut, I don't think she is one either. Before Adrian, she was with her ex-boyfriend for 10 years. They broke up in 2006 and she got together with her now husband in 2008. And knowing girls like her, she's not the strong type who would go around cheating on her boyfriend. She's more like one of those girls that are terrified their guy will dump them.
What I do think she is is one of those annoying girly girls who can't drive a car properly and hopes someone does everything for her.
She herself admits, one of the reasons why she adores her husband is that he's capable, and does almost everything she can't do.
Computer technical problem? He helps fix it. Car broke down? He comes to the rescue. All forms of documentation? He helps handle.
Someone send me an Adrian Wong.
So there you have it. My personal analysis of who Amber Chia really is.
I don't claim to know her very well. I certainly don't see her as a friend, and I have no intention of even acknowledging her presence at the next event I'll see her at as I don't assume she'll remember who I am even though we've met at countless events and dealt with one another and also spent a whole day working together (yes, the selective memory of a celeb).
Look at how thin she is. Even at 7 months and 3 weeks preggers. Sigh. Do you know she eats a LOT? One of those naturally skinny girls. For that, we should really hate her.
What I only intended, was to give my personal and (I hope) fair analysis. Not a starstruck one, just because she was nice to me at an event, nor a hate filled one just because she showed her dumbness at another.
I figure every person deserves as much.
Note: In case you missed it (which I don't know how you could have really) the above is of my own opinion and is in no way an official representation of Amber Chia and co.


18 Comments:
Dear Erin, I actually enjoyed your article. Thank you for your honesty. It was good to see you at the workshop. Hope to see you again soon. All the best dear. Amber...
Dear Amber (if its really you),
Thank you for your kind comment. Glad you enjoyed my honesty.
Can't help not to comment at such an interesting piece! Like your frankness as always and I really DO gain some insights on what you've shared. It's normal to have perceptions but it's not good to make assumptions. And it is esp unfair for us to make assumptions of people whom we don't really know. There's stories behind everyone and we don't know how far we have to go to actually understand who a person really is.
Just my thoughts.
And now I'm surprised that you actually analyse people haha...maybe I can get my personal analysis from you at a discounted price? :p it'd be definitely interesting to exchange ideas about anything related to psychology tho :D
I am HOPING Amber will keep track of the comments here if that really is her up there.
Anyway, I think this piece is a good character building comment for her if she cares about trying to build an empire herself, with or without a person to guide her (whoever is supporting her, the key to Amber Chia as a brand is Amber Chia)
I myself is critical of her in term of her language though I don't really know her. Good for her to have found someone who is helping her to move around in the world. She has the goods, contacts and it will be a waste for her not to take advantage of it.
And as for her English, some people in the world become famous enough without it (Rain?) and why not her...
Hey B Shan, the analysis part came from personal interest and a short personality assessment training I've gone through before. :) I'm interested in psychology as well! Yes, lets catch up and run through different theories.
And yes, that was my intention of this piece. I wanted people to not assume so many bad things of a person when they haven't even gotten a chance to know them yet. But I also didn't want a piece which seemed to suck up to the individual (as most articles I've googled seem to, and a mistake I previously made as well).
Thanks for enjoying it!
Hey Mr K, that's good feedback. I believe the expectation to have good English doesn't come from other countries, but from Malaysians. Most Malaysians want people to know we have good English and can speak well, contrary to their beliefs that Asians all have sucky English.
As for her empire, you're right. She is truly lucky to have the people she has around her, supporting her. But it would be ideal for her to be able to run everything herself, build herself up so well that she could be a business mogul as well as a fashionable icon. Ala Kimora Lee Simmons? :)
erin wong knows me better than i know myself. it's scary.
and i'm sure amber's english has got to be better than jet li's or jackie chan's? :P
in regards to her comment on this post- good on her for being a good sport! for taking it all as constructive criticism and for being down-to-earth enough to leave a word of acknowledgement and thanks :)
Mi dear JD, to me ur an open book! Hhehehe..
And yeah, that's why I thought she was different from general perception. She's not diva-ish.
seriously, ur article reflects the personality of Amber. she doesnt fret or get annoyed when there is a long line of ppl wanting to take pictures with her (yeah, i was one of them in an event!)...really cool!!!
But what abt the incident where she sent multiple sweet msg to lavin seow's husband middle of the night Wen lavin was pregnant n claim she did not knw was married??? Hmmm I dunno amber too but sometimes I tink she pretends to be 'dumb' and 'innocent''? And i find it really diva-ish to have reality show even when she's pregnant? Mayb msian are really tat pak kua ha ha. Jus my two cents. Anyway waterer it is, she knw Wat she needs to get her on top. Good for her.
hey erin
good piece =) i like your unbiased opinions.
-jade-
Sharon - Good to know you had a good experience dealing with Amber. :)
Anon - I can't comment on that incident. It'll forever be a he says she says thing. Anyway, she's happily married now, does it matter?
As for being pregnant and still having a reality show, I don't know what you mean as she wasn't pregnant when she was running the Ford Models show. And even if she were, I'm not sure if that would be a big deal? Shouldn't pregnant women have a chance to work if they want to as well?
Jade - Thanks babe, your opinion is much appreciated. :)
Erin this is a really a good piece of article...often people judge a person even before they meet them.. And in the case of Amber, she is hardworking and no one can deny that. And she is lucky to find someone who sincerely take care everything else for her. Good for her.
As for her others rumour, I guess we don't really know the truth. so why we care since we are not the parties involved inside:)
Hi Jess, thanks! Yes very true.
Hai Erin, like reading it, normally i wont read others blog with long wording but just picture, but i am enjoy reading your article.
I am graduate Master at UK, but my English is broken too, so what I am still passing my exam. Communication is about understanding.
Jess i am agree with you too
Hi Stacey, you're a Masters grad! I envy that about you more than having great communication skills. :D Thanks for enjoying the article. :)
Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.
I wanted to thank you for this nice read!! I definitely enjoying every little little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post
Post a Comment