So recently there was MIFW. And before that there was the Gardens Mall's Fashion Week too.
I'm sure other malls did their respective Fashion Weeks too just that I wasn't invited to those so I don't really need to give a damn about theirs now do I? ^^
Now after an entire year of viewing multiple fashion shows... I just want to say this.
Malaysian designers, are overall, still shit.
And of all the people. *I* have *always* advocated for supporting local designers.
MIFW Maxis show by Cris Tang. Inspired by the iPhone 3Gs.
But after seeing this scene, year in year out, I kennot help but concede that KL kennot and will not be a fashion hub. Not in the near future anyway.
Sometimes I really feel so frustrated at the substandardness of our people.
You get one nice outfit once in a while. If ur lucky you get to see a good fashion showing. A pretty acceptable set of outfits being showcased.
Then you head to the shop. See their collection. And go ngwek ngwek ngwek.
Like really. Potong stim liddat.
I may not be a fashion designer myself, but blardy hell, I do know that if you really wanted to do something well, you blardy well can do it.
So there was stoopit MIFW. Where I went to one session which lasted for 4 blardy hours, with more than 20 designers being showcased, and came out feeling completely exhausted with half the audience gone.
Who the hell does a fashion show like that anyway??? MIFA, take a cue from MercedesBenz Fashion Week please.
I saw some good stuff there. But *nothing* internationally compatible.
Plus if you're even remotely in the fashion scene I'm sure you would have heard of all the controversial hoohaa of the unethicalness of MIFA (*cough* stealing designer's money *cough*).
To begin with, why the heck were there so many random designers being showcased? Just cos they can afford to
Shouldn't MIFW be a bunch of handselected designers we feel deserve to represent the Malaysian image?
Instead we get random boutiques like PU3 featuring their casual clothes. 0_o
Don't get me wrong. I'd shop at their boutique. But are they really the best of the best of our Malaysian fashion scene??
Then before that there was Gardens Mall's Fashion Week. Which featured 2201 Fashion Avenue designers, which is basically a collaboration of MODA and Gardens to create an outlet for young Malaysian designers to get onto the scene fast.
You submit your designs to MODA. They gauge the sellability of the items, and then choose the designers that they will allow to place a counter in 2201 Fashion Avenue for a freaking cheap rental rate.
I thought the idea was brilliant. Heck, it IS brilliant.
Except one thing.
The designers. Suck. Ass.
And the marketing done for this outlet. Suck. Ass.
Why would anyone shop for clothes that are low quality with weird designs at MNG/ Zara prices?? Not to mention the outlet is kinda in a hidden corner of Gardens, which already has low traffic in the higher traffic areas to begin with.
You don't need an Albert Einstein to figure out that equation.
I used to be one of those go getters that would scream "SUPPORT LOCAL DESIGNERS"/ "SUPPORT LOCAL TALENT"/ "DON'T BUY CIPLAK STUFF".
Sudden camho shot of X, me and B at the Gardens show.
Lets not talk about the music scene. Which I do think is growing and improving fabulously.
But fashion?
I think its time we stopped putting the blame on the consumers for not supporting local talent.
Show us talent, and we'll blardy buy your stuff.
In the meantime, I'm crossing my fingers that the few better designers I saw during MIFW can possibly rise up the fashion scene.
P/S: To see my 20 thousand tweets on MIFW, search for #mifw on Twitter. Of course, not just mine will come out la. You can see everyone's opinion of MIFW there.
PP/S: Do note that my writeups on VenusBuzz or wherever else that is on an official publication would obviously be positive and wishy washy and not include a hint of these negative opinions. And I'll consider you an idiot if I need to explain why.
VenusBuzz writeup on Garden's Fashion Week:
http://venusbuzz.com/glitz-glam/2237-malaysian-designers
And MIFW:
http://venusbuzz.com/glitz-glam/2268-international-fashion-week

6 Comments:
oh good finally someone spoke my mind exactly about the malaysian fashion scene!
Hahahahah... It has improved, but its still crap... Sad la...
Ahah...found your blog thanks to Spinzer. Will stalk you now...
Hahahahhah! Thanks for the support!
What to do...
You want good fashion nanti government ban...
Cannot reveal too much you know..
tak halal...
Eh mister yellow brain! Der is good fashion w/o being flesh revealing lerrr..!
Post a Comment