Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chasing the Dream

So I figure... Its about time I made the announcement. 

I've been silent for the past couple of weeks, debating whether I should make my job change announcement or not. 

Simply because... It sounds glam. But it isn't. I'm terrified people will think so cos then I will force myself to achieve more so that people won't be disappointed. And if I can't I'll feel like a failure. A Big Fat Failure. 


Insecurity whine over. 


So my new job. 
I've basically joined a web solution company that decided to start a new online magazine. And I've been hired as the editor of this new portal. 


Portal link will be provided when its up and running. 


Now before you guys go "Oh. So you're taking the footsteps of KinkyFairyBiru." 
I am not! 


How can I decide to take the fate of another? Just because it sounds glam? 
And I'm in the job now. Its not glam. I don't feel it anyway. 
Plus the KBF hated being an editor. I actually like it. 


I pursue MY dream. MY fate. MY destiny. 
I knew since last year I had to change my line of work. 


I wasn't happy. I knew I wouldn't ever be working in that role. 
I tried looking for my dream job everywhere. I went for interviews for Sales roles, Retail Sales roles, Marketing roles, PR roles. 


I wasn't sure exactly what my dream job was. But I knew my God knew. Excuse the holy insert. But its true. And I can't tell you my whole story without saying it. 


So I heard Him say to me one day. That I would get my dream job. I would get everything I wanted. 
I would work in a small close knit organization. It would be just big enough to have structure. But small enough to be flexible.
I would work with an awesome team of people that treated each other like family. 

I would work in a job where I would wake up every morning and think "God, I LOVE my job." 
I wouldn't get more than a certain percentage of paycut. I would have opportunities to increase my salary and gain incentives. 


3 months after I heard this 'word', I gave up. I had gone to interviews after interviews with no sign of any door opening, even though I laxed all the above mentioned criteria. 


Then I was offered a job that was the complete opposite of everything I wanted. 
Doing the same thing. In a large corporate organization. Not much room for incentive growth. Horrible corporate colleagues. 

I took it. I thought to myself. Who am I. To ask for something so impossible. 
People across the globe live lives of routine. Of not chasing their dream. They live daily to earn a paycheck to pay the bills. They settled. So should I. 


So I did. 


Two months later. My dream job fell right into my lap. 
I had given up on the dream. I refused it the first couple of times. 
Then the thought dared creep in again. Why not. 
Why don't I dare to dream again. 

It was a fine grey sky-ed evening when I signed my name on the dotted line. 


So here I am. Living my dream. Hoping to God I didn't make the wrong choice. 
You know what? 
I don't think I did. :) 


8 Comments:

Jess said...

glad :) very very happy fer u babe! i knew u'd be the right person for this ^__^ ooh, n dun forget to claim ur burt's bees frm me heehee! :D ur bday prezzie

Chee Ching said...

I wish to find my dream job too :D But now I'm really clueless :(

erin wong said...

Jess - :)

cheechingy - i helps you! ^^

Paris B said...

You will do good I'm sure of that - esp now that you've found something you know you will enjoy doing :)

Legal Cat said...

When u told me back then, I know u will be loving it...just remember when this dream job is a bit of a nightmare, that is cause, it still has the word 'job' to it. What u should do is just enjoy the ride...

jade said...

yay =))))) here's to a new chapter. take it on girl =) -jade-

erin wong said...

You guys are awesome and I luv u to bits n pieces. =)

Laurence Wong said...

Sounds interesting. Tell me more. Or well, tell me the next time we meet.