In all honesty it is with great reluctance that I start this "Celebrity Watch" tag.
Reason being I really kennot tahan the iamsomebodysogetouttamyway attitude of 99% of the so-called 'celebs' in Malaysia.
Why should I help them gain further fame?
But again, I also recognise a gap in the knowledge of the masses.
The entertainment scene in Malaysia is extremely juvenile, to say the least.
Malaysians don't know, and most don't really care, about what happens in the entertainment scene. Who's who. Who's doing what.
Say a local celeb's name and you're usually met with a blank stare.
(I admit I do the same.)
However, my primary aim, is always, to educate.
And I also believe in doing my little part for the society. Bigger awareness means bigger returns for our economy.
I am such a saint I can't stand myself.
So I'm sucking it in.
Just do me a favour and don't grovel at their feet when you meet them.
So we can all do our little part in saving Mother Earth. Our forests shouldn't be sacrificed to make more space for their swelling heads.
(I'm entitled to my drama.)
But I am pleased to say that the first celeb that I am mentioning is a personal favorite of mine. And falls into that auspicious 1% category of niceness.
If you've been following the blog posts, you probably don't even need me to say his name.
Baki Zainal actually began his entertainment career as an Internet Radio DJ (2003), and made a guest appearance in Ghost in 2007.
But his break was his role as Arumugam Ling in Kopitiam. After which he was asked to star in a couple of fu-ni commercials.
He now also stars in Mr Siao's Mandarin Class (which you can tune into and laugh your head off at ntv7.com.my) and is currently also seen on 8TV, hosting the Celebrity Chat sessions.
He's probably not one of the most well known celebs around (yet!), but for those who do know him, have not failed to love and pledge undying entertainment-value loyalty to him.
I remember the first time I really heard him host.
(Forgive the fact that I don't watch TV lar k.)
I listened with half an ear.
Hosts are, after all, usually boring.
They are given a script. They follow. Adding in a line or two of lame Malaysian lahs and jokes.
But Baki's voice was clear. Fluent. And so da fu-ni!!!!
And when he inserts Mandarin lines into his usually English/ Malay speech, it never fails to jerk people's heads up and listen in awe to this cheeky Malay fella speaking Mandarin in almost perfect han yu ping yin.
And it is probably because of that, the list of his hosting jobs are never-ending.
You can view his resume here.
Do note its not even updated yet. And he's already 28. And he doesn't look so kiddo anymore lar. (ALAN/ BAKI UPDATE CV CAN.)
But did you know, because he attended a Chinese school, he constantly felt like an outcast from his own kind?
Did you also know, he struggled with insecurities because he thought he wasn't good looking enough to make it in the entertainment world?
Do you know how hard it is to keep telling yourself you can do it when it seems that not many around you feel the same?
Sigh. I sure know how that feels.
Your persistence paid off, though, Baki. And I wanna tell you I'm proud to have someone like you represent Malaysia in the entertainment scene.
-------------------------------------
Baki's FB. Yes he adds all his fans. And loves us all.
Baki's twitter. Follow and see his humbleness in action.
And a tidbit. Baki kena sabo. HAHA.
Don't forget to watch Meter and Healthy Paranoia on 15 Malaysia too! Fu-ni sial.
-------------------------------------
Click on photos to view source.





4 Comments:
hahaha! that is so true. there is no excuse to be some primadonna biatch because people see you on tv.
(you know my stand on this).
and i have met baki. i don't know,maybe something is wrong with me but i easily like people even if i just met them. and when i met baki after his live interview with yasmin hani, he was genuinely nice. very friendly. easy going guy who clearly didn't let get fame get into his head.
Yeah, exactly. Down to earth fella. I like him too. =)
Dear Erin
thank you soo much for such kind words... i am totally until now at awed with this entry and i feel so small and unworthy of the praise.. not being drama i first saw this posting earlier today while i was seated in the botton langkawi enjoying the lovely scenery and cooling wind and when i uploaded your entry on my ipod touch i felt as if i am the most luckiest person in the whole wide world... once again thank you erin.. hope to catch up with you soon.
My dearest Baki, I never tot my writeup wud make THAT big an impact. I expected at most an "Aww... Thanks." kinda thing. Hahahah!
Honestly, it has been my priviledge to have known you. As I enter into this 'world' more n more, I really appreciate ppl like you who remind me that it IS possible to stay grounded.
You're my inspiration. =)
Post a Comment