Monday, September 28, 2009

AHA Festival 2009

My apologies for disappearing. But it may please you to know I'm FINALLY blogging about Guangzhou.

Guangzhou was awesome.
I love the shopping, the food, the people.

But it was mostly awesome because of the chance to experience the amazing creativity.

I love art. All forms of art. If you can't tell by now.

And hairstyling is probably one of the most underrated forms of art.
Everyone wants good hair, but how many really acknowledge the passion it requires to form a good cut and style time and time again?

Hairstyling was always the profession that you 'fell' on cos your parents didn't have enough money to send you to college, or if you weren't book smart enough.
Phooey.

Which was why the Asian Hair Association was formed. Because they know, and want to make a difference in the hairstyling community.

Hairstyling is more than just fall-back work. Its a passion.

Hence this year's AHA Festival theme: Your Future is here.
And this year's event was the biggest yet. 

I went, courtesy of Winnie Loo, founder and creative director of A Cut Above, is this year's AHA president, and vice president of MHA.


Miss BusyBee President, arranging things for us left n right

Thanks to her and the rest of the BoD of the AHA, we were ensured that we had a wonderful time in Guangzhou, experiencing first hand and upfront a wonderful hair festival.


The VIPs/ BoDs of AHA!

The events kick-started off with a huge hair styling competition.
And I mean HUGE.


300 over contestants in total. 

And of all these contestants, only two were from Malaysia (both from A Cut Above of cos)!


Fabien


Eric

And true to our Malaysia boleh! slogan, they both walked away with Consolation prizes for the Creative Styling Category. Go F & E!


Fabien and Eric with cheery grins

And cos of the non-regulations on hair colouring in China, you get funky kalers liddis.


One of my favs


A bit too weird for comfort!

Oh oh. But the part I loved the best of all.
Were the fashion shows.

Come on. Who doesn't love back-to-back awesome fashion shows!


A Cut Above recreated the Colourful Minority collection from their 30th Anniversary Party


I can never get tired of their colours


The ACA team! Clap clap!

The other countries gave us a taste of their amazing creativity too.























And when I thought the artistic side of me could be fulfilled no longer, the hair gurus themselves came onstage to teach us a thing or two about hairstyling.


Winnie doing her thang in between the Colourful Minority show


Boris showing us how its done


Winnie showing different forms of hairstyling


Show us how to Extreme Perm! 


So pretty da kaler

And u THINK that's it? You THINK you can't be creatively expanded anymore?

Ta da. They present us dancing and singing peeps.


Hot hot HOT





Side note:
Here's sth I found out.
Guangzhou men really appreciate hot chicks.
And I mean REALLY appreciate.

It don't matter if you can't sing or dance for nuts. But you hot chick? Cheer! CHEER! CHEER!! Haha.

So yes. Coming back. Can you see now why Guangzhou was so awesome for me? =)

After experiencing this event, I do know for certain, that should my future kid wants to pursue hairdressing as a profession, I'd be cheering him/ her on.

Would you?

Unleash your creativity guys! ;)

3 Comments:

::Ida:: said...

Wow!!!! lucky you to go to such a happening n hip event!!! so envy u!!!!

wynn said...

"A cut above" - my next stop when i drop by KL.

nice post erin. keep posting!

erin wong said...

waneeda - yes, it was an awesome event. dun need to envy, everyone gets to see creativity around us everyday. :)

wynn - haha! thanks!