Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Lash Low Down

Every girl looks for something different in their mascaras.

Some want volume.
Some want length.

Some want curls without kiap-ing.
Some want easy-to-apply for noobs.

What I want in a mascara is basically EFFECT.

I don't see the point of sam-sam-fu-fu putting on mascara and washing it off at the end of the day unless I SEE a difference!

I've used a fair number of different brands of mascaras and here are some I would recommend for the different uses.

1) For the noobs:
Maybelline Lash Discovery Mascara


Price: RM20+ (Soli lah... No time to go see at Watsons!)

Ini kecik miau brush makes it super easy for the noobs to get those lashes without smearing all over the eyes. Perfect for those who want to start on mascaras and are too intimidated by the usual fat brushes.

Don't expect a big effect though. This is purely for you to practise and get used to handling mascaras.

2) For the ones who hate clumping:

Majolica Majorca range of mascaras


Price: RM40+ per tube

Whether it the comb or brush one, volumising or lengthening, this mascara does NOT clu
mp.

Only on the 3rd month of using it on a daily basis did I finally see some clumping happening,
which is the expiry date of an open mascara anyway.

But despite the raves on this mascara, I just don't find the effects dramaticly satifsying enough.

3) For awesome volume sans flies in wallet:
Maybelline Turbo Boost mascara


Price: RM30+ per tube

Priced at only RM20+ during sales, this is one power packed mascara. Effect dia BIG BIG. This is muh favorite drugstore mascara!

Negative part: It tends to smudge a little by the end of the day.

Note: DO NOT buy the PINK one. It doesn't give an effect as great as the silver one. It claims to give more lengthening, but seriously, this silver one does a better combined job of both length and volume.

4) For the ones who want loooonnnngggggg lashies:

Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara



Price: Unavailable

Super looonnnngggggg curls, with NO smudging.

This, unfortunately, is not available in Malaysia yet. The other option is Maybelline Sky High Curves.



Price: RM30+

However, Sky High's curls as not as hebat. Maybelline's claim is 30%, compared to Unstoppable's 50%. The nearest country you can get it from is Singapore.


5) For drama lashes:
Bobbi Brown Everything Mascara and Lash Glamour Mascara


Everything Mascara

Lash Glamour Mascara

Price: RM
75

Yes, BOTH are AWESOME.


Everything provides slightly more volume than Lash Glamour, which in return provides slightly more length.


I find both to be super fantastic, and provide me with dramatic lashes that befits the drama queen in me.

This is the before and after pic using Lash Glamour.


Before

After

Cantik, no?

-----------------------------------------
Added 20/4/09

Muh friend's lashes after using Lash Glamour:




Not really a good photo. The lashes were squished against her lid. But good enuff to see lar.
-----------------------------------------

And its even better if you see it real life version.

And best of all, despite the fact that Everything Mascara doesn't claim to be waterproof, it never smudges!

I tried both for a long full day and it was zero smudge all the way.

I compared this to Dior Show and Dior Show Iconic, which provided not as great as effect (serious!) and it smudges too. Boo!

It also doesn't clump (but for serious no-clump go for Majolica lar), and because the colour catches so easily onto the lashes, it causes less lashbanglid accidents!!

Actually, I really find many hidden gems in Bobbi B. When I have the time I'll blog about 'em next.

In the meantime, head over to the nearest BB outlet and try the mascaras for yourself!

Beautiful non-false lashes in a flick of a wrist.

7 Comments:

Haruka said...

heyyy!! haruka here haha i like ur posts.. very relevant to me!! hehe anyway have you tried Maybelline - Lash Stylist?? its quite good.. gives that dramatic effect, long lasting and gives lashes some length :) oh and bedhead mascara quite ok for "natural" look.
what do u think?

alyshä said...

i've been using YSL's faux cils for yoinks... super dramatic effects (Maybelline turbo boost cannot compare AT ALL!!), but it does start clumping mid-tube and often i'd have to whip out my lash comb. i'll give bb a try next!

sharontan said...

yesterday i got free testing of lancome new product, i dont remember it's name, but it has a vibrator for easy application and has a great effect after 2 layer!!! it cost rm120 for now, promo price for roadshow!

erin wong said...

Wah wah wah! Banyak recommendations!

Haruka: No I haven't tried Lash Stylist! It sounds like its more length than volume, which isn't really great for me. I'll go and try it though, just for the sake of reviewing.

JD: Yeah, YSL is fah-moos too, but I feel its overrated like the DiorShow! It clumps cos it has way too much fibre stuffed in der.

Sharon: I saw the ads for the Lancome vibrating mascara! I think its really smart (IF it does actually work), cos then it makes ppl so reliant on the self-vibration that they won't know how to apply normal mascara anymore. Then it creates a psychological dependency to keep buying that same mascara.

Esp for MUAs, if we get too reliant on it, then our mascara application skills will become rusty, how?? =D

Joanna said...

I have always been using mascaras from Lancome (Hypnose), and its very dramatic but it smears a little towards the end of the day. When i was in Sg, i was recommended by the saleslady at the airport duty free to try out a new mascara that just launched and is only sold exclusively in Changi Airport's Terminal 3 in the whole of Singapore.. i was reluctant lah but what the hell, the sales lady was damn chio and sweet that i was gave in. It;s called Becca, not sure where it is from and its a in a brown tube and so far, this has got to be the best mascara i have ever tried. It comes off in clumps in warm water and it never smears. Neverrr! I've tried stuff from Lancome, YSL, Dior, MAC, Clinique, Maybelline, Loreal and Shu Uemera (which just got awarded the Best all rounder mascara in Her World Sg's Top 100 Beauty Awards) but this Becca beats everything hands down. Serious.

Joanna said...

Oh yeah, i forgotten to say what it did. Hheehe, it volumizes, curls and lengthes but the most obvious effect is ur lashes look extremely thicker

erin wong said...

Ello. You just gave us the best mascara review ever, and u dunno where to get it from?!?!? WAlahhhh!!! *wail*

I've also tried alllll thoooseeee brannndsss and I also find them all to be lacking a bit.

Maybelline I endorse because of the value for money. Cannot compare with the counter brands lah!!

And Bobbi B is srsly forgotten. They have a LOT of great stuff no one bothers to reviews!

As for the Her World Award or Cleo award or ANY award...

FYI, the mags basically award their clients who advertise with them, or any potential clients they are targetting. So I never bother to buy a product cos of these 'awards'.