Sunday, October 18, 2009

Have you tried Cloth Pads and the Lady cup?

I. Like any other woman on planet earth. Detest periods. 

Its gross. Messy. Troublesome. But my major hype? Its unhygenic. 


The blood clotted up on a piece of artificial cloth for 8 hours or longer? The thought of it grossed me out everytime.

My sister and I used to wish that we could go back in time and beat Eve up before she ate that dratted apple. 
"Oi you!! Put that apple down now and nobody gets periods!!" 
 

I tried using tampons, but the only tampons readily available are the Johnson&Johnson ones which I JUST CAN'T FIT IN. 


Don't laff. I swear its true.


I need to use the ones with applicators, and those are just friggin' expensive and not easily available at most pharmacies.


Then I found out about the Ladycup and Cloth Pads. And I thought my woes were solved. 

The Ladycup is a silicone cup of sorts that you insert into ur vajayjay to catch the blood flow. 

Duh about cloth pad. Pads which are made from cloth instead of artificially bleached materials. Its supposed to let ur intimates breathe better. And much better for the environment! 




I looked around and only found Tiny Tapir's online website as the most popular and recommended Malaysian stockist so I just placed the order one fine day, hoping it would solve my woes. 

Sigh. I wish I could tell you it did. 

The ladycup is horrendously huge. 
And I bought the smaller one. Softer one. More expensive one. 
It hurt when I put it in. When it was inside. When I pulled it out. 
Literally every contact it made with my body brought tears and screams of pain. 


So I tried the cloth pads. 
And messier they were. 
They just don't fit to your body. And the washing part is just really messy. 


It doesn't come out totally clean cos there's bound to be some stains left on the cloth which is just gross to look at. 
And if you share a bathroom with others, its such an eyesore to see your stained cloth pad lying around. Plus it takes AGES to dry! Like, friggin' two to three days of air drying minimum! 

So imagine how many cloth pads you actually need to buy, how much air dry space you need, and your bathroom partners looking at those things for more than a week.


Of course. You are not encouraged to dry it artificially. 



And the worse thing is you can't even use conventional liquid soaps to wash it. You apparently need to buy some au naturel soaps that won't put a layer of conditioning on the cloth pad that will stop it from absorbing the blood. 


After trying all these mothernature methods I decided that the best thing to do was just to purchase the applicator tampons for the day, and just use the cloth pads at night. 


The ladycup is chucked in my drawer. Sigh. 
Total waste of money.


And just for you to see. 
I camho-ed with them. 



Period blood anyone? Nom nom. 
And you can see how HUGE it is. 



This is the pantyliner one. Also huge. And uncomfortable.



You can try them out for yourself. I still advocate natural products for most things. Just maybe these don't work for me. 


Go green y'all. 


----------------------------------------------------


I just realised like, today, 21/10, 5 minutes and 27 seconds ago..
That I bought the LADYcup not the MOONcup. 


Changes have been made accordingly. 


Essentially they are the same thing. Silicone cups that capture blood flow. I bought the LC cos it had size differences. But still too big for me. =(

18 Comments:

Paris b said...

Hey, haven't tried the mooncup and no intention to :p but i'm liking cloth pads. I dont find them long to dry. Just overnight with moderate sunshine is good enough. Oh and no stains too. Maybe its the ones i got :) i just wash mine with normal detergent too.

erin wong said...

I guess problem is I only keep it hanging in my bathroom which has really minimal sunshine and is pretty damp. =(

And Li was the one who told me I can't use normal soaps as the cloths will quickly lose their absorbity. =D

If the mooncup were smaller and more pliable, I'd love to use that. So convenient!

Coleen said...

hehe i also wanted to try those mooncup thingys.. i hated pads since i got my period at 14 and have been using tampons since. the ones with the applicator are really the thing to do la.. the ones u insert are a lil bit harder and takes getting used to.

erin wong said...

Yalor wei... I thought I was the only one with that problem.

But if you also find trouble using tampons w/o applicators, you might wanna find a smaller alternative than the mooncup.

Paris B said...

Erm I wasn't told about the absorbency thing dangit! :P Nevermind lets see how long mine will last doing it my way hehe...

alyshä said...

hahahha thanks for posting your reviews!! love your photos too!! LOL

i totally support being green but this, i draw my line at. Give me my Libra Ultra Thins anyday, thanks!

erin wong said...

Paris - Yes. Mebbe u can double check with Li, but I'm quite sure she said that. =(

JD - Try la. Better to use less commercial pads! They're bleached and bad for the environment. And ur vajayjay. =D

alyshä said...

my vajayjay is made of steel kthx!

erin wong said...

HahahHHHahHAHhHhahaHHhaa!

Samuel C said...

lol!!
awesome stuff!

♥sacy♥ said...

didn't you wish you were not so excited about getting your period when we were younger? and the men don't even understand why we are so moody when we have our period.

Naoko said...

@Geminianeyes from Twitter here: Just wondering (since I was reading the other article) did you ever try turning to the menstrual cup community on LJ for help?

They're usually fantastic for sorting out menstrual cup probs (and I've only seen two women give up out of maybe a few hundred? One because her vagina is literally NOT made for a cup, the other because she just couldn't get it to work). In any case, thanks for the article. The pics are cute. XD

Laurence Wong said...

Why not just take contraceptive pills and only menstruate once or twice a year?

A number of people I know are doing it, regardless of if they are sexually active.

erin wong said...

Hey Gemmy (can call u dat ka? haha!), I think the only way I can use it is if they get me a smaller one. Or till I give birth and have a bigger vjj hole. Hahaha!

L - Are u kidding me??? That is HORRIBLE for your body. Those girls that do it are lying la. Only chicks with massive hormonal problems or have sex regularly will take the pill like that.

Naoko said...

:p Nao would do. XD

Also well, there ARE smaller cups, just that smaller cup = smaller capacities, of course! It does take some getting used to though.

There's a new cup on the market that's even smaller than the LC (the small LC used to have the title of smallest, it seems to be taken over by the MeLuna now).

http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/more-cup-photos/

I'd recommend taking a look at it at the least, though I do know that vags usually adjust themselves to a cup after a while, and if you kegel, it helps a bit.

First few cycles of wearing a cup usually makes for sore muscles, but after that it's smooth sailing. Someone once said it could be because your vag is holding onto to something over a much longer period of time than normal.

:P Yes I do spend way too much time reading the posts on the comm why do you ask? :P

erin wong said...

I do do kegel. I thought that makes it worst cos I figured kegel makes hole smaller summore. =(

Since I ady spent so much money on the LC, I doubt I'd be willing to buy another RM100+ silicone cup that may not work again wor... =(

It wasn't jz sore. It was aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh paaaaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnnn and tears coming out of my eyes kind! T_T

Naoko said...

I'd recommend not buying it unless you're certain actually. Cups are expensive. :P

Actually kegel doesn't make the hole smaller from what I know. It just toughens the wall and gives you extra err... grip.

But yes, I completely understand the pain. I had that several times during my first 2 cycles with the MCUK. I forced myself to persevere and tried different folds to see if it won't fit. Since I already kena the painful one, when I was using the MC I was already kind of expecting the hurt which didn't happen.

The pain is usually from suction and can be fixed, but you must be comfy to stick your finger in there la. The key thing is always to break the suction.

What I usually do is pinch base, pull a bit to make sure I have a firm grip, then slide finger in, press against my side till I hear the suction break (can sound like a really loud fart or a hiss) and then pull it out all the way. This is usually done in the toilet, cause well, accidents CAN happen? :P

For insertion, I use the punch down method, with the punch side facing down. Then just insert and let it go up by itself.

*Pats* Cups have a learning cycle, but they're worth it.

jem said...

y'know there are other vagina and enviromentally friendly ways to menstruate other than cloth pads and menstrual cups. there are organic bleach and chlorine free disposable tampons and pads, reusable tampons made out of organic cotton or bamboo matierial, I have read about women taking 100% cotton baby socks and rolling them up and using them as reusable tampons, you could make your own disposable products out of organic cotton batting(cotton balls and the like), also one last thing; maybe the cup didn't work for you because it was silicone? It is rare but some people do have silicone allergies. So the meluna which is made out of TPE(thermo plastic elastomer) may be something to think about yet.