Well, you've probably seen the million and one Simply Fabulous posts around the blogosphere.
I'm not really interested to write another post telling what went down during the event.
You can check out Blush-Berry's writeup, and Seraphsam's writeup.
What I do wanna talk about is the program itself.
When I first heard the concept, what attracted me of course was the GatronomicallyHugeGrandPrize.
RM10,000!
Trip to New York!
Entry into New York FASHION WEEK!
So of course, there are no shortages of girls lining up to join this compeition. Heck, during one of the shootings, even Sarah Lian was begging the 8TV crew to let her submit her application in.
And. Behind the scenes. I had a LOT of fun.
The girls are so whacky and down to earth. Everyone was so drawn by their force that we couldn't help but also become nutty altogether as well!
It was a refreshing atmosphere. TV media, writing media, celebs, BTS crew, brand ppl... we were all the same.
But but but... that being said...
How captivating was the show itself for you?
I have to say very honestly that a lot of the energy and excitement wasn't really captured on screen. As with most of the drama.
For instance, did you know Preeta was one of the most disliked contestants in there? Hahahah... I'm sure she can be a nice girl, but maybe a little bit too full on? The first time I met her was during the time when I was a mole, and she was really quite rude to me, as well as the other moles I heard.
Nalin won the GatronomicallyHugeGrandPrize and I do think she deserves it.
The show captured her for who she is. She's fun, yet mature, and speaks well. A combination that's extremely attractive and would do well to represent us when she attends the NY Fashion Week.
The rest of the girls are also absolute darlings, don't get me wrong. From this one show, I foresee myself forming friendships that will last despite us not meeting up often. =)
So yes. Do I think the show was a success? I think it was in terms of upping Maybelline's brand name. But all that money pumped into the show? I do think something more creative could've been churned out.
I'm honestly quite bored with the marketing ideas Malaysians come up with. In terms of short adverts, I think the advertising market is quite top with that. Some of the TV commercials make me LOL like nobody's business.
But reality shows. Long term marketing campaigns.
Sigh. All quite fail.
The only one that came remotely close to being entertaining was the recent everyoneconnects.net drama. Even then, I now think its quite lame since they got on bloggers to write weird writeups for them. Like. Don't even know what its really about nemore.
And all these stupid model searches/ hot girl searches that every TV show/ magazine publication/ organization (big AND small) are coming up with.
Sigh. *look to the heavens*
More creativity can or not?
Heck, even Mardi Gras One Utama is holding a Party Girl search.
*facepalm*
You want a good show? Give us drama. Sad, but true. Ppl like drama. Which is why shows like Fear Factor are so effin' awesome.
So instead of giving us another bimbotic RisLow kinda model search, add la a bit more pizzaz to our boring lives.
For example (which I'm mentioned on Twitter before).
Ask the high profile models of our industry, like Amber Chia, Deborah Henry, Stephanie Chai etc to be featured in a show "Smartest Model in Malaysia" or some crap name like that.
Then get them to spell scientific words, disect a frog, give a social project presentation bla bla bla.
Oklar. I won't take credit for that idea. I watched an American reality show that did that la. I jz tot it was so effin' funni. XD
Point being. There are so many more things you can doooooo laaaaaaaa....
We're bored. And its your job, advertising firms, to entertain us, cos you make shitloads of money doing it.
Alright. That's my two cents' worth.
Don't kill me. I'm just telling the truth on what is on everyone's mind.
Now. I just gotta wait and hope someone accomodates my wish.
P/S: You can check out the Maybelline behind the scene and Grand Finale shots here. All by Raynor da Man.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Simply Fabulous and other girl searches
Posted by erin wong at 11:17 AM
Labels: events, have a break, only muh opinion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 Comments:
reality shows are so blah already. more new and fresh ideas please. and i hate how the 'starlets' of these reality show act like major divas. ugh.
Yup yup. We wan more creativity!!!!
Dissecting the frog won't be the hardest part, catching one is! LOL
=D Fu-ni rite rite?
jumping around in the bush to look for frogs or toads? :p i think will get bad response unless the reward is REALLY tempting (can spoil image and market value of the participant once the show is broadcasted) :D
Yes. Obviously it has to be a super attractive prize, or it won't be worth their time.
Hey babe, I know this has taken FOREVER, and it shudnt have.. I take full responsibility fr my procrastination (n will hang my head in shame on ur fellow bloggers' pages too). I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your support thru-out the whole Simply Fabulous show, and most of all for allowing me to win the Bloggers' Choice / Striking Confidence award.. I'm not lying when I say I totally wasnt expecting it!! Plz do keep in touch, it was great getting to know u!! N I actually brought a lil sth from Sabah 4u n a couple of others who I was lucky enuf to get to know btr, but ddt get d chance to pass it to u.. When I go back to KL, let's meet up n yamcha or sth k? =)
PS: Dont blame us for making u nutty, u know u were naturally nutty to begin with!! D nuts attract d nuts!! Hahaha.. Which always ends with a lot of fun!! ;p I have to agree wif a lot of d drama not being captured, which was a shame, as I'm sure the show wud'v had an even bigger following!! But o well, thr's still Season 2 to come eh? =D
I missssss uuuuu aaaaaaallllllllll...!!!!
Yes, pls communicate thru FB all k? ^^ We mz meet up again soon.
I just saw this post! :D thank you very much my lovely woman, for the extremely wonderful things you've mentioned about me. I will not let you and the rest of the world down! :) i pwwoooomise!
I had an awesome time with you and the rest of 'cuckoosville' while recording the show. ;)I wouldn't have it any other way!! :) MWAH!
But I digress.
I'm with you on this issue we have regarding the lack of creativity. in fact, if it wasn't for the deliciously amazing grand prize for this competition, I wouldn't have bothered signing up. I think people here fail to grasp the fact that reality tv is very competitive right now and that they should start thinking out of the box instead of sticking to the safest and surest way to generate profits, ie throw a bunch of hot girls in a show, do some provocative shoots and voila the ka-chings start rolling in.
then again, that's probably all that they care about. getting enough dough. they probably dont give a rat's ass if someone else has come up with something similar before.
malaysia boleh!
Yeah!! Girl power N!!! Lets hope someone notices and does something bout it. =)
Post a Comment