A few years ago I woke up one day and realised how dowdy I looked.
I wore ugly tees and jeans and thought that was dressing up.
I stared at fashionable girls on the street and peered into fashion magazines with envy. With my minimal bank account as a fresh graduate, I wondered if I would ever be able to look like a madeover Anne Hathaway working for fashion mogul Miranda Priestly.
I woke up one day and decided.
I'm gonna stop envying. And start doing something.
So I took out a fashion magazine and stared at the models' outfits that I really admired. And I began observing the outfits of the girls on the streets whose outfits I really love.
I ransacked my closet and pulled out items I really like and thought about how I could recreate those looks. I thought about what's lacking in my wardrobe and decided to spend my limited bank account money ONLY on those items.
Clothes that were simple but classic, plain but fashionable. And only things I really really REALLY liked.
It started from a simple black A line miniskirt that made my legs look longer.
Then it was a simple long black tee that ended just at my hips making me look taller and slimmer.
It progressed from there to black boots, off shoulder tops, some classic halter necks, denim skirts, slim ties and black and white waist cinching belts, gorgeous match-with-everything bags, long necklaces, and simple long scarves.
Next up was the hair and face.
I decided to stop being scared of changing my hair drastically and let my hairstylist unleash his creativity. Makeup also became an everyday thing for me. So now it annoys me whenever I hear a girl say "I just can't bothered" when they hear I do it everyday!
And just to prove it to you.
(Boy. I just KNOW I'm going to regret this.)
I'm showing you a pic of how I looked like before.
And this one of my NICER shots I swear. And I wore outfits like this everyday!
(I can't recognise myself!!!)
And just in case you're new to this blog and all, here are some recent pics of me.
Look. I really really REALLY don't want to seem as though I'm showing off or anything.
But I just want to show to you that everyone can do it, really. Its not that difficult to start. All it requires is a determination to want to do something different with your life.
And though I definitely do not declare myself as the next Michelle Obama or Paris Hilton, I do think that my looks has improved drastically and I've learnt a lot more things about what works and what doesn't on my face and body.
Helena Rubenstein once said "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones!" and "Men are just as vain as women, sometimes even more so."
Ah hah.
So start whipping up those lazy bums people. And make your daily mirror routine even more of an enjoyment. ;)













7 Comments:
I don't recall you look like that when you are in Brisbane.. I thought you are quite hip when you were here for your study?
Nelson - Wahhhhhhhhh!!! Thanks for remembering such a nais side of me wei! I have always tried to fashionable la, but I never really REALLY tried. So more often than not I wore weird stuff. =)
JD - OMGOSH UR SO RIGHT!!!!! *slap forehead*
Amended. I kennot beliv how bimbotic dat mistake was. HAHA!
Ah, that's the Erin I remember. Is that your youngest sis? Looks vaguely familiar.
Shaddup u! >.<
Yeah, tracy's in the 'before' shot with me.
beautiful blog! i love the photos and the bag! ahhh!
Awww, thanks! Coming from someone with such an awesome blog I feel honoured. =)
Post a Comment