Thursday, October 8, 2009

Getting real. At ACA's launch.

A Cut Above launched their biggest outlet at BSC yesterday. 
Yet another glitz-glam celeb filled affair. 

Its probably the 50th affair I've attended of this sort. It surprises me how fast I've adapted really. 

My heart no longer beats at a 100 miles per second, and the butterflies have left my stomach. 

It feels just like I'm walking into my home, almost. =) 

So I remet some celebs. Not all remember me. I honestly don't bother much with those anyway. Haha. 

I saw Jonathan Putra from the corner of my eye and said hi to him, remembering how down to earth he was. Next to him was a pretty tanned skin girl whom I concluded was Olivia from pictures I've seen. They made a beautiful couple with genuine smiles and no airs about them. 
Oh. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure he only vaguely remembers me. But JP makes sure it works by treating everyone the same way. Always with a warm greeting and a heart fluttering smile. ;) 

I do feel though, that I've seen Olivia somewhere before. I just can't put my finger on it... 


As the usual social conversations died off, I turned and who did I see but Justin Chan, clutching a bottle of Heineken tightly with eyes already turning slightly red.

I greeted him warmly as I was quite certain he would remember our previous meetup where we made silly jokes and shared mutual friends stories.
But his smile remained tense and false, and I thought to myself, maybe I was wrong about him.
Sure enough, as we brushed shoulders throughout the night, his stance remained cool and withdrawn. The only thing that changed was his eyes, turning redder and redder, betraying his drunken warmth.
I shrugged in resigned acceptance. After meeting a million and one mini celebs who act this way, I didn't really expect anyone to be better.

And in the far end of the hall, I see Winnie socializing away with the celebrities and the high profile media of our nation. 

Winnie has always thrived to be in the limelight. This I do not doubt. And though I do feel it could be done in an understated way, I don't really blame her. 

If you want to be fehmes. You need to know who to butter up. And be unapologetic about it.

And butter up she did with the celebs who were her potential customers, and the top media of our nation who would provide her with top notch publicity. 


I finally saw Baki Zainal and Alan Thoo, my two favorite people in this industry. 
Baki was dashing in his satin shirt that showed off his even tan to a T, worn carefully under a clean cut tuxedo jacket.

The reason why I like him is simple. When he meets someone. Its never with one of those practiced smiles and social graces all the celebs have. 
His darlie teeth always flash brightly and he leans forward with a genuine interest to know your name and attempt to know you in those few minutes. 

I leaned forward to hug him with a tight embrace. 
For those who don't know, he's going through a really rough time now. But you wouldn't know it from the way he continues to shower his charm and does his best on the job.



Shawn remained quiet through this time. He knew his time would come but he was bored while waiting for it. 
A week before the event, I had asked X to give Shawn a spot on the night's agenda. 

I have been mentioning Shawn and his amazing beatboxing talents around town, but none had shown interest.
After all, a beatboxer does sound pretty tacky. =D 

But I do believe in S' capabilities. And my good friend X knew that when I say something is good. Its good. 
So without watching any of his videos, or seeing any of his performances, X placed his performance as the finale to the show. 

So there Shawn was, arrived early to get his hair done, keeping to himself as the rest of the high profile celebs muak-muaked and greeted one another. 

I slung my arm around his shoulder many times that night to give him reassurance the only way I knew how.


As we, the online paparazzi, Shawn, and Reema, Dennis Lau's manager were mingling around one of those elegant tall event tables, I observed Dennis Lau from the corner of my eye. 
I knew exactly when he saw me, and his registered look of mild recognition. 


It was the same look I saw from the previous event I had seen him at. 


He walked casually over to our table, and this time introduced himself to me, consequently greeting Chris, whom he already knew, and recognizing April for her SeptSocials feature in The Star


It was quite unladylike of me, but when he stuck his hand out to shake mine, I reached over with my currypuff crumb and oil stained hands and shook his hand anyway. 
With a big cheeky grin on my face. 
Ok fine. It was semi clean. And I only touched his hand with the clean section. 
But it was enough to see a look of mild horror on his face. Haha! 
Its to make up for the many times you dissed me, Dennis. *wink* No hard feelings eh? 


Like I said. I can't really expect much more from what I've seen in the attitudes of the Malaysian celebrities. 


Dennis recovered very quickly from the crumbs and oils, and asked Reema to invite us to his album launch next week.
I'll let u know if it actually happens. ;) 



And then it was time for the performances. 

And after the fashion show, people began leaving and Shawn began shuffling away and muttering under his breath in apprehension. 

I consoled him the best I could and though I kept my spirits up for him, inside I was terrified things wouldn't go well and began muttering prayers. 

All I could say was, "Just do your best Shawn. People will see, really." 


And the worry was really for naught. 
For the moment he went on the stage. It was all his. 
The stage. The audience. The atmosphere. 


And as we cheered ourselves hoarse and watched everyone's faces gape in awe at this tiny boy with strange sounds coming from his throat.


He was. 
Simply amazing. 


We went home on a high. And Shawn and I talked for hours that night after the event. 
We shared our dreams and observations of the Malaysian entertainment industry and discovered we had the same heart in many areas. 


But I'll tell you more about that next time. 
Maybe. ;)




I know this blogpost is different from my usual style. 
No pictures. No diplomacy. 
(To those who may be insulted at my post, apologies. I wanted to make it real this time.) 


I wanted to show you guys what its really like for me at these events. How its not all just fun, and what the real stories are like behind the glitz and glam you see. 



Once I get the pictures from my photog, I'll do another piece. The usual way, ok? =) 


Ciaos gorgeous people.

6 Comments:

missyblurkit said...

Its good. Very good to speak your thoughts out. Even if it has to offend some people, life goes on:-)

Bravo!!

wt said...

most genuine piece Erin... loved it!!!

and Shawn! you are SO right! he gonna be BIG!

erin wong said...

Ten kew both. ^^

No offense intended really. I just dislike being fake and not speaking out what I really think. So I decided, I'll just do it. =)

And yes, Shawn is gonna be BIG. Soon you'll see him everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Thats why i didn't wanna go in! Reputation man. U know how once they see you unkempt.. that's it.. forever u'll be that impression. I still want to survive in this industry!

Alan Thoo said...

wei... bad la u spoiling our market.. we're not good people.. we;re baddddd.. baddddd bad baddddd... hahahahah....(pls read "bad" with three tones like you're humming a tune)

Erin, to be honest with you, I met you only 3-4 times at all these functions and I must say, yea..you're cool.

And yes, I was impressed seeing Shawn perform that night. Did you notice Ning, tony and the whole lot in front were like "we want moreeee.. we want moreee!!!" hahahaha

Alright, why not involve him in the next MCG2 project ah? I get him to beatbox a few lines for the song? We're producing an mtv and song for the eco cause and I wanna feature the boy. :P (dont ask for a lot of money ahhh.. currently still self-funded hahaha)

erin wong said...

JoeySia - It won matter cos no one knows u yet bah. HAHAH! As they say, any publicity is better than no publicity at all.

ATu - Yeah yeah, Ning SMS-ed X that night to tell him she really enjoyed Shawn's perf and told him to convey that to Shawn. So sweet huh?